What is an orthodontic appliance?
A dental or orthodontic appliance refers to any means by which the orthodontist can move a tooth or group of teeth for the purpose of correcting dentoskeletal dysmorphosis. The term "orthodontic & nbsp;" comes from the Greek ortho, which means right, and odontos,fortooth. It covers a practice also called dento-maxillofacial orthopedics is the art of correcting or preventing deformities and malocclusions of the dental arches as well as dental malpositions.
- Removable devices that can be removed and put back,
- multi-link / multi-link devices.
We will give 5 commonly used examples.
- Cylinder plates allow widening of the dental arches.
- Extra-oral forces are "night devices" consisting of a metallic bow on the molars and a cloth helmet. They are used to correct jaw offsets, including moving back the upper teeth when they are too far forward. To have a good efficiency, it is necessary to consult rather young (generally before 12 years) and to carry them between 12 and 14 hours a day.
- Delaire's mask or Petit's mask: used to correct skeletal class III by retromaxillary (upper jaw set back).
- Activators are used to correct jaw offsets in the anteroposterior direction. For example, when the lower jaw is too far behind. To have a good effectiveness, it is necessary to consult rather young (between 7 and 11 years) and to carry them between 12 and 14 hours a day, (to know more to see also article movaghar et al., 2008, in our publications ).
- ELN(Lingual Lingual Envelope) is used to reeducate the tongue, redirect the growth of the upper jaw, and treat anterior open bite (when the front teeth are not touching).
Multi-bag / multi-link devices
These are fixed devices. They have rings on the posterior teeth, and rectangular brackets on the other teeth. Fasteners can be glued to the outside of the teeth or on the inside of the teeth (this is the lingual technique). To the left of the metal fasteners, in the middle Incognito lingual fasteners, on the right of ceramic aesthetic fasteners much more discreet.
Invisalign: system of successive aligners or aligners
Invisalign treatment (Dr. R.MOVAGHAR AND A.SEYED MOVAGHAR, Orthodontists in Paris)